Go to content

Main menu:

Guide to St. Mary's > Guide

2. North Porch

The Architecture here is partly Early English and partly Perpendicular. Over the outer doorway were once two niches, but some years ago they were walled up. The porch is lit by two narrow openings on the ground floor and three more generous windows on the first floor, and is equipped with a drain for the upper storey and a chimney concealed by a small ornament on the nave wall above.

The pillars at the north door are Romanesque, a stylistic period dating from AD 600-1200, and show signs of having been dismantled and reassembled. The main sections of the pillars consist of two unusual, single, unjointed, shafts of uneven length. These are topped with cushion capitals (a typically Norman design) of equal size. The unequal bases both appear to be reused capitals. The one to the west is a third cushion capital, inverted, and that to the east, although much battered, appears to be a reused bulbous capital, and is more typically Saxon.

Back to content | Back to main menu